The algebra problem

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Sun May 20 19:32:34 PDT 2001

I think this may be in relation to this recent article, but In case it's not (I've been backed up with email again, so apologies if this was already posted)

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_297131.html

Maths can be bad for your health

A psychologist has diagnosed a condition known as Maths Anxiety Syndrome.

He says the prospect of having to do a simple sum is enough to cause an otherwise healthy person to have an almost phobic reaction.

Sufferers often display high blood pressure and heart rate and a lapse in memory when they're forced to do maths.

Dr Mark Ashcraft, from Cleveland State University, will set out his diagnosis of the condition in the next Journal of Experimental Psychology.

He believes sufferers spend so much energy worrying about the problem there's none left to work out the answer to the sum.

Last updated: 09:46 Friday 18th May 2001