Yale for Sale

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 21 13:35:06 PDT 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Acknowledging
>the widespread opposition to him, he noted that it appeared that the
>requirement for a person to speak at commencement (almost never done at
>Yale) is not only to have graduated from Yale and be President, but to lose
>the Yale college vote to Ralph Nader.

If I'm remembering right, the only person allowed to speak at a Yale graduation other than the president of Yale is the president of the U.S.

>But it was encouraging to see what a large proportion of the undergrads and
>grads participated in the protest.

This is wonderful news. When I visited Yale during the Gulf War for a (very thinly attended) teach-in, there was a wreath made of yellow ribbons in front of my freshman dorm.

Doug