Fwd: (50 Years) WB cancels Barcelona meeting because of protests

Peter Kosenko kosenko at netwood.net
Tue May 22 15:23:53 PDT 2001

The articles say that the World Bank will be holding its meeting via the Internet to avoid disruption. The question I have is HOW? Why not have them post all of their analyses and proposals on a web site 3 months in advance and then let various constituencies worldwide comment on whether these will in fact promote the "reduction of poverty"? Or am I mistaken that such openness might prevent the kind of deal-making with power brokers that the institution requires?

Peter Kosenko

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:59:25 -0400