Christianity and S/M

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed May 23 14:16:18 PDT 2001

>From: Matt Cramer <cramer at unix01.voicenet.com>
>
>The central theme of Christianity is not the crucifixion, but the
>resurrection.

Protestant churches attempt to emphasize that point by displaying empty crosses rather than the (undeniably creepy) crucifixes used in the Catholic church. Nonetheless, the central symbol of even Protestant churches remains an instrument of death. I remember Charles here on the list commenting on the weird practice of using the cross as jewelry, noting that it was like wearing a tiny electric chair on a chain around one's neck.

All in all, I find Christianity morbid and barrier to social progress.