SUVs

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed May 23 08:00:54 PDT 2001

If I could afford one, I'd buy it, just so that the effects of some nimrod rear-ending me (which happened a few years ago, a huge pick-up v. my pathetic Lumina) would be minimized. Plus I'd feel better driving in bad weather.

mbs

Wojtek sez:

>I think you are reading too much into this SUC (sport unitility car) thing.
>People buy them not to make up for some personal inadequacy or to manifest
>their deep id, but simply because they have been told so by advertisers and
>cued so by others. Contrary to popular belief, the guiding principle of
>human behaviour is following the flock - rather than solipsistic rational
>choices.

I say:

Damn, you may be right ... and I spent three precious hours concocting a socio-semiotic analysis !!!

As for your "redneck nouveau riche" hypothesis, my only rejoinder is: how many of these folks read _The New Yorker_ magazine and _National Geographic_ ?

All best,

John Gulick