Dirty Money: Literally

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 23 23:34:33 PDT 2001

--- Jim Westrich <westrich at miser.umass.edu> wrote: >

> This germ thing with money is just typical irresponsible scientific
> reporting (original press release:
> http://www.eurekalert.com/releases/asm-ttr051701.html ). It is frightfully
> small study (68 bills!!!) from one Ohio town. The bills did not have
> terribly harmful bacteria on them. Worse is the fact there is no evidence
> that bacteria on the bills is transmitted through normal transactions (ok
> if you have an open wound you probably should not rub all your money around
> on it).

Sadly, if you work as a bank teller or in another occupation which involves the counting of large numbers of banknotes, you do not have the option of keeping your open wounds and other people's filthy banknotes separate. I seem to remember from otherwise fearfully dull BIFU meetings at the Bank of England that health & safety from infected papercuts was a fairly major issue for the banking unions.

dd

===== ... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. -- Bertrand Russell