Russia: Opium, the new religion

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri May 25 07:04:17 PDT 2001

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/alt1/archive/music/reviews/03-07-96/SLEEPYHEAD. html ...The sharply focused numbers on Communist Love Songs are often dryly funny ("I'm gonna grow my hair real long and smoke a ton of grass/And stay up all night every night, discussing race and class," is just one of the gems in "The Communist Love Song"), but they harbor their share of heartache and uncertainty. O'Rourke's voice betrays more helpless frustration than vindictiveness when he sings, "You and yours are gonna pay for all the way you made me feel." And when he gets to the chorus -- "I want you to stay more than I want you to leave/I don't have much money, but there's so much of me to steal" -- he's unabashedly needy... Michael Pugliese