Childhood

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri May 25 19:24:49 PDT 2001

>> >1) We live in an industrialized/fragile environment which makes it
>>>almost impossible for children to be children....to have energy and
>>>to expend their energy.
>
>You wrote:
>
>>Isn't it only richly industrialized societies such as the USA that
>>make it possible for individuals to have "childhood & adolescence as
>>we think we know them"? Production of social relations that give
>>rise to _long_ periods of childhood & adolescence (during which
>>individuals are not asked to take on social roles & tasks aside from
>>being children/adolescents, playing, learning, etc.) among the
>>working class, beyond the offsprings of the bourgeois & the
>>petit-bourgeois, is part of the democratizing process of capitalist
>>development.
>>
>>In contrast, in pre-industrial societies, even the very young (if
>>they survived the period of infancy) worked & therefore had social
>>roles that went with work, as they still do in many poor nations.
>>
>>In other words, childhood & adolescence are erstwhile luxury goods
>>that have become cheaper through mass production, though they are
>>still too pricey for all the young people in the world to enjoy.
>>
>>Yoshie
>

>What I was trying to say is that we (in the US) live in a
>"non-natural" environment which, from the stand point of a child,
>is difficult to live in sanely and healthily. The extreme
>alienation/specialization of industrial/technological work
>automatically excludes children from 1) contributing to the social
>good 2) understanding what their parents do.
>
>What is left for the children to do right now in the USA is to play
>with each other and to consume toys and entertainment. Playing with
>each other is becoming more of a problem because the days of going
>outside and seeing who you could dredge up are gone (in the Bay area
>anyway). So if you have parents who will drive to play dates, you're
>OK. Otherwise, you're screwed. So there's a lot of toy and
>entertainment consumption and the concomittant production of a
>nervous energy and disatisfaction because there is very little
>actual interaction with reality and natural processes.
>
>I know that this sounds abstract, but if you have a child, nephew,
>younger sibling, etc. ask yourself what it is that this child is
>relating to all day long; chances are that it is some kind of
>super-processed object or experience. Why do kids destroy their
>toys? Probably because the only thing that an intelligent kid can do
>with something is that detailed and finished to that degree is to
>take it apart. Everything that is served up to kids today is
>processed to the nth degree: from the junk food to the junk toys to
>the junk culture. This superprocessing is the very opposite of
>freedom though it looks like luxury and choice.
>
>What we have done is to provide a bubble for our kids to live in;
>that is the best that can be done under capitalism. What we all hope
> [...]

I'm not making any value judgment comparing the past & the present; I'm simply saying that the past (when the young were treated merely as small adults with their own social obligations, instead as "innocent children" & "confused adolescents" who should be protected from the corrupt & dangerous world) is alien to us, so we may better understand that what we have now in the present -- mass production of long periods of childhood & adolescence in rich nations & among some classes of poor nations -- is a historically _new_ phenomenon, which would not have been possible without capitalist development with its drive toward innovation, high productivity, etc.

It is high productivity in agriculture & industry that allows so many -- young or old -- to live without producing what they eat, wear, etc., letting a large number of the young become children & adolescents, play, go to school, and so on, instead of working to produce food, carry water, etc.

The process of mass production of childhood & adolescence has been "democratizing" in the sense that it has spread literacy for instance. Literacy used to be an exclusive preserve of the ruling class & clergy before the rise of capitalism; industrial revolution; & class struggles for the shorter working day, prohibition of child labor, etc.

Unlike Wojtek, I think that too many American children & adolescents -- even those from well-off families who can probably afford not to work -- work for wages for too many hours. In Japan & Europe, youth employment is much more limited than in the States.

Yoshie