Happy Memorial Day, Mr. Kissinger"

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Tue May 29 05:48:48 PDT 2001

>Or,
>in a moment of weakness, I will admit that some Secretaries of State
>were just pretending, and didn't manage to get enough people killed to
>qualify as a war criminal.
>
>This can't be news.
>
>Chuck Grimes

Here's some news that might satisfy you.

>From page A8 of the New York Times:
May 29, 2001 World Briefings

Chile: Book Him Court Says A Santiago appeals court ruled that Gen. Augusto Pinochet should be fingerprinted and photographed by the police as he awaits trial on charges of human right violations. Human rights lawyers, opposed by the general's lawyers, have been pushing for such a ruling for months, arguing that the former dictator should be treated as any criminal suspect would be. ----------------------------

I imagine the families of the victims of Pinochet would rather have his sponsors in the U.S. held responsible, but I bet they've derived some satisfaction from the fact that the former supreme leader of their country has been officially booked.

Carrol, what would the West charge Castro with? How would the rest of the world react? Maybe they'd kick the U.S. of the U.N. Human Rights Committee. Oh, they already have done that, haven't they....

The snatching of Noreiga in Panama -- Operation Just Cause, or as I like to think of it, Just Cause We Say So -- happened before any of these latest, reformist developments. These developments just highlights the hypocrisy of the U.S. and undermine whatever appearences of legitimacy concerning foreign policy it might have.

Peter