The Left, The Public, was Re: Ideology....

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue May 29 06:29:55 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote: >
>>> Why of the infinite number of false categories one can extract from
>>> daily life in the United States should one pick on the SUV drivers and
>>> invent a mystic explanation holding them together as a sort of Platonic
>>> form?

I thought the SUV business was interesting as a widespread phenomenon, in that it gives clues about the state of what we might humorously call the public mind. Such a theory of observation is completely materialistic, if we treat the assumption that people have minds as materialistic (and credible).