childhood

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 29 14:59:41 PDT 2001

>The contrast between the working children of the poor and the non-working
>children of the middle and upper class does not make sense to me.
>
>After all, school IS work. Children work in school from 9:00 to 3:00 five
>days a week and then they come home and have sometimes hours of homework.
>Where exactly is the playful childhood in all this?
>
>Joanna B.

The lower on the scale of social stratification a student's parent or guardian stands, the more likely the character of his or her schooling resembles drudgery in the United States, or so says Jean Anyon in "Social Class and the Hidden Curriculum of Work" (_Journal of Education_ 162.2: 62-97).

Yoshie