threats to the family...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 29 15:01:30 PDT 2001

[An lbo-talk contest, with, unfortunately, no prize. Here's the beginning and end of an article. In what publication did this appear, and when?]

The Homosexual: Challenge to Science

COARSE BUTT of banal humor, condemned and despised, a criminal punishable by law, the homosexual continues to flourish. There is a cyclical character to this growth that is curious and revealing. In our own time, the spate of books on the subject - learned studies, novels of justification, poems, plays - may indicate increased tolerance rather than an increase of homosexuality. Certainly, although the restrictive laws remain, homosexuality is in large measure condoned. The homosexual allows himself to appear more boldly as such.

Any endorsement of toleration raises questions of social' policy. Would the abrogation of cultural taboos and legal penalties, like a removal I of quarantine, multiply. the infection? Perhaps those who never would have known what the strange strivings were, would now be informed, and succumb. Others who might have exercised restraint, might now loose it. Still others might let themselves, be more easily seduced by, an attractive world of artists, poets, dancers, designers.

Does this mean that we ought to advocate censorship or suppression of information about homosexuality? Any adequate answer demands consideration of its history and causation.

Homosexuality from farthest antiquity has been known, and a matter of controversy. Female homosexuality has always been of much less concern because evidences of affection between women are acceptable and not suspect. For practical discussion, homosexuality means male homosexuality.

[...]

In order to get more information, we need fewer strictures, not more, on the literature of homosexuality. The Lancet, a British medical journal, notes: "Public attitudes may be perpetuating homosexuality by preventing any real investigation of the subject." Certainly this was true of syphilis before the bold public presentation by Surgeon General Parran. More information from homosexuals and more investigation of homosexuality will serve to illuminate the subject, and perhaps help reduce homosexuality. A scientific study, such as was made of the problem of narcotic addiction and control by the New York Academy of Medicine, would be very helpful.

At the same time, treatment opportunities have to be developed so that those who are "exposed" and who need or want care can obtain it. The sociological, psychoanalytic and legal aspects need to be explored much more fully. Although sin and crime tend to be merging into sickness, sickness itself undoubtedly has a variety of components that can be dealt with separately -if we get to know them.

The reason we need to concern ourselves with homosexuality as a social phenomenon at all is the family. Our basic social structure demands a family relationship, and therefore heterosexuality. The family is central to the development of humanity not only for perpetuation of the race, but because the proper psychological development of an individual can only occur within the warm circle of the nuclear family. Social and psychological studies indicate quite clearly that a strong family structure helps to develop and maintain a personality free of dangerous (to self and society) characteristics.

The family is already under attack from many sides - industrial mobility and increasing female employment, contraceptives and promiscuity, depersonalization in an increasingly mechanical age. Homosexuality is a further threat to its integrity. As such, it needs to be treated and prevented. At present cure is difficult, time consuming, maybe even impossible for many homosexuals; The key to the problem lies in prevention. Prevention waits on knowledge and study.