Childhood

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue May 29 16:44:48 PDT 2001

Catherine Driscoll wrote:

> I> England,
>
> A lot has been written on this with especial reference to early modern
> England, part. Shakespeare and part. Romeo and Juliet. [clip]
> I will try to look in soon and send something more
> substantive if there's still a conversation on this.

By all means. The Shakespeare passage always bothered me because it just didn't match what I knew otherwise re Elizabethan England.

And in _Pride and Prejudice_ Lydia comes close to fitting the modern (negative) stereotype of a "teenager" -- except that she definitely is regarded not as a teenager but as an obnoxious young adult (who is apparently expected to remain an obnoxious old adult).

Some English king was a victorious general in an important battle at the age of 16. Sorry I can't remember which (future) king it was or which battle. But I'm certain no one saw him as a teenager.

Carrol