afterward on privatizing science

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue May 29 21:08:19 PDT 2001

Chuck's point about the fact that authors typically supply machine readable files to the publishers. He might addd that many of the publishers print their books abroad. I know that for the one book for which I know where the publisher was located, the printing was done in China. I suspect that paper, ink and the like are cheap there.

I have had a few books where the editor made some detailed suggestions; most of the time, it is farmed out to a copyeditor, who looks for grammar, readability problems, but not anything about structure.

I have also been responsible for producing my own indexes.

The publisher sends out a few copies for review, places a few modest adds, and hopes that enough libraries purchase the book.

However, for blockbuster books, big advances ....

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu