stereotypes

kelley kelley at interpactinc.com
Wed May 30 14:28:25 PDT 2001

At 04:57 PM 5/30/01 -0400, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>At 04:28 PM 5/30/01 -0400, Kelley wrote:
> >which makes you exactly like the kids you are complaining about.
>

>If 1, then save the bandwidth - I agree.

take your complaints about kids who haven't been properly socialized to respect mainstream values and apply it to yourself. whereas they pride themselves on rejecting mainstream values, so do you. whereas they claim that it is all a rigged system, so do you. where they get off on and come out scrapping for a fight by pissing all over mainstream, so do you.

both manage to encourage a minor sub culture industry in which symbolic resistance is marketed in the form of various kinds of commodities which bolster an identity of resistance and, in the end, glorify their very marginalized statues. for the kids, it's the culture industry that you complain so much about. for you, while you spend a great deal of time bitching about the PC symbolic culture industry, you seem blithely unaware of its complement: the small industry devoted to criticizing PC academia. the cons have turned it into a hilarious exercise in hypocrisy where they complain about victimizing liberal and PCers all the while painting themselves as marginalized and victimized by the so-called dominant PC acadmeics.

you, like the hallway hangers, imagine that it is your choice to rebel, while everyone else is a stupid shit (for the hallway hangers, mainstream chumps, the middle class teachers they reject; in your case you simply fuel the fire of the anti-PC industry which successfully displaces real critique by turning themselves into victims of some dominant liberal hegemony

in the meantime, both of you fail to _really_ criticize and attack the problems at hand. both of you manage to exist in and reproduce a system where there appears to be dissent and resistance, but that dissent and resistance merely leaves things in their place.

see Jay MacLeod's Ain't No Makin It.

kelley

>If 2, then make a counter-argument.
>
>If 3 or 4, well, de gustibus non est disputandum....
>
>wojtek

"i also would like an academic job. i am not very good at much else, plus i don't like following others' orders (and don't do it very well) or getting up in the morning for a 9 to 5. the idea of not being able to get an academic job makes me a little nervous since this is exactly why i went into a grad program." --Sarah M. Pitcher, Syracuse University (quoted w/ permission)