Sullivan on the Barebacking Story

kelley kelley at interpactinc.com
Thu May 31 08:48:41 PDT 2001

At 02:13 PM 5/31/01 +0000, Justin Schwartz wrote:
>I don't care about hypocrisy: it is a venial sin at worst; and I don't
>think he's guilty of it here anyway. Please, let's do get back to
>attacking his political views, and not his private life! --jks

but this particular hypocrisy is different, right? he runs around lecturing others about their behavior and making political hay out of it and, worse, encouraging stereotypes against gay men, some of which have pretty tragic endings for gay men, yes? and then he turns around and engages in unsafe sexual behavior of the sort that he condemned. this isn't personally bad for him, but bad for others. he _harms_ others in his personal life and he harms then in his political positions on the topic of sexual behavior.

fact is, he was advertising for bareback sex and that means that there are a lot of people out there who actually find it sexually exciting to have bareback sex. they _want_ to expose themselves to HIV. (nathan's ignorance aside: this is a fetish and it's no diff from others). given that, sullivan advertised at a site that promotes bareback sex, and not so that HIV+ men can have sex with one another. furthermore, altho he might have wanted to only have sex with other HIV+ men, he could never know that they were for sure, could he?