Sullivan on the Barebacking Story

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 31 09:04:25 PDT 2001

Justin Schwartz wrote:

>I don't care about hypocrisy: it is a venial sin at worst; and I
>don't think he's guilty of it here anyway. Please, let's do get back
>to attacking his political views, and not his private life!

Maybe it's my residual Catholicism showing through, but I think hypocrisy matters if people prominently go about telling other people how to live their lives, and then act in a completely different way in private (writing a piece denouncing abortion, say, almost at the very moment one is paying for one's girlfriend's abortion).

Doug