Sullivan on the Barebacking Story

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu May 31 09:09:03 PDT 2001

Why is it unsafe for him to have unprotected sex with the HIV positive? If your point is that some people who aren't HIV+ take stupid risks because of their fetishes or whatever, well, they assume the risk; it's not like anyone who is HIV+ and has unsafe sex in the unstod context that this is what everyone who is doing is doing is taking advantage of anyone. Sheesh. You might as well say, it's bad to date in a singles group, because SOME people who date are cheating on their SOs, and not really single.

I take great glee in the exposure of the sexual wrongdoing of Jim Bakker or Jimmy Swaggart, or Newt Gingrich or Henry Hyde, etc., but I think you are off base. If Sullivan is to be attacked for his own moralizing about the sex lives of others, attack him for that, not for consensual sex games he plays.

So, to answer your question, Charles, whether the personal is political depends.

--jks