Sullivan on the Barebacking Story

kelley kelley at interpactinc.com
Thu May 31 09:32:11 PDT 2001

At 04:09 PM 5/31/01 +0000, Justin Schwartz wrote:
>Why is it unsafe for him to have unprotected sex with the HIV positive? If
>your point is that some people who aren't HIV+ take stupid risks because
>of their fetishes or whatever, well, they assume the risk; it's not like
>anyone who is HIV+ and has unsafe sex in the unstod context that this is
>what everyone who is doing is doing is taking advantage of anyone. Sheesh.
>You might as well say, it's bad to date in a singles group, because SOME
>people who date are cheating on their SOs, and not really single.
>
>I take great glee in the exposure of the sexual wrongdoing of Jim Bakker
>or Jimmy Swaggart, or Newt Gingrich or Henry Hyde, etc., but I think you
>are off base. If Sullivan is to be attacked for his own moralizing about
>the sex lives of others, attack him for that, not for consensual sex games
>he plays.

he encouraged the very think he denounces.

that's enough for me to have an issue with him and to think it perfectly reasonable to point out that this isn't a character flaw, but a political problem b/c the guy's public behavior has led to and encourages stereotypes of gay men that, well, gee, result in the violent deaths of gay men.

i wanted to note, didn't make clear enough, that i found his explanation disingenuous. there are a million and one ways to find other HIV+ men to have sex with than to advertise at a site devoted to bareback sex!

he claims not to be encouraging barebacking, something he denounces publicly. but he WAS encouraging it since he could have advertised in many other places. i see ads for HIV+'s seeking HIV+'s all the time and their right in the singles section of the daily newspaper. that kind of ad wouldn't be encouraging a bareback sex publication, would it?

kelley