What kind of 'anti-war movement'?

C P quintanus at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 12:38:21 PST 2001

>er, Ian's from Seattle and was pretty involved as i recall. gee, i guess
>he's not important enough... ??? he was forwarding stuff here about it for
>months before seattle. lordy chuck!

OK. Ian was in the house too.

He didn't mention being in Seattle and my memory is defective about which list members were in Seattle.

Chuck0 --------------- I was there too. I'm not really a 'member' of the 'list' though. Have you been following how there might be a new Giuliani style mayor in Seattle? http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/local/44935_money01.shtml It is the same principle that keeps getting Willie Brown elected in SF - vote splitting. Paul Schell, the famously clueless mayor of Seattle, was laughed at by the majority of Seattleites as the most money/downtown business project oriented candidate who was an obvious no, however, everyone else split their loyalty for various other candidates. http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis/web/vortex/display?slug=forum28m&date=20010828&query=richard+lee Schell hardly even lived in Seattle and had retired to the south of France and didn't have a residence in Seattle. You saw how he had no clue what was going to happen until that Tuesday morning, despite all the people clearly walking around the city with something planned - he never ventures outside. I kept thinking that the Paramount theater must have some sort of secret underground passageway from nearby buildings such as the convention center, because it is an unusually easy building to cut off with a few dozen people milling around. He has been getting so annoyed with people calling him ineffectual that he had a real crackdown on a mild and simple Reclaim the Streets a month or two ago, having people arrested or peppersprayed within just a block or two: http://seattle.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6212

You're right about WTO Seattle working because the communist-sectarians hadn't caught on yet. the Democratic convention people weren't as european-american, which was a big concern for a lot, but there were all these 18 year old kids with bullhorns shouting recently memorized rhetoric who were dragging down a lot of the demos there.

Here is an article in a missouri paper that I just read that's a bit shocking, about an atheist Pashtun journalist who was tortured by the taliban.: http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issues/2000-08-09/feature.html/index_html?qs=8

There was just a sort of interesting anthrax letter scare where I am situated. A human evolution professor who has been in popular science magazines and who receives a bit of hate mail got a letter from New Jersey with a weird address printing, and all the back and side seams of the envelope were carefully taped over. I don't know what type of letter was in it though.

Christine