A shaky bet now?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 1 20:50:55 PST 2001

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>Shouldn't left business observers be learning to _hedge_, rather
>>than bet on this or that?
>
>Hedging is for wimps.
>
>And, as any Post-Keynesian schoolchild knows, you can't hedge
>against radical uncertainy - only probabilistically quantifiable
>risk.
>
>Doug

You'd have to have the courage to let go of your positions when something utterly unforeseeable happens & changes the rules of the game. However, in my view, everything that the U.S. government has done following the bombings has been more or less predictable. So have been changes in the public opinions. The only radically uncertain element, to me, has been anthrax, but public responses to it suggest that an increasing number of Americans have come to realize that the U.S. government is incapable of & unwilling to protect workers from unseen threats. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>