Unjust, Unlawful, & Unproductive Re: Arguments for ground war

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Thu Nov 1 23:18:54 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Schofield" <g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 9:21 PM Subject: Re: Unjust, Unlawful, & Unproductive Re: Arguments for ground war

> Yoshie, in the abstract all your arguments are justified and good,
but the Afghans are not living in the abstract - this winter means death, it is that which is the primary concern of internationalism.

> Does anybody reasonably believe that it is possible to rectify this
at this stage given the players?

> What means are available for at least relieving the disaster (it
seems to be beyond stopping at this point)?

> 1) Complete US back-off, opening of borders, emergancy agreements
with the Taliban, the massive shipment of food aid, clothes and shelter across the border.

> 2) the movement of troops across the border bringing aid in its
wake.

> 3) Ignore the problem and let the starve.
>
> Number 1 would be best by far but also the most unlikely. NUmber 3
is what is happening. So I would say again number 2 has to be brought up and brought up in no uncertain terms.

> I cannot see how saying this is anymore than saying the truth. What
we have got to start doing is being truthful and steer away from what is just comfortable.

============= For $3billion tops, the international community could get Afghanistan through to next May-June. We need to start drawing the humanitarian parallels to Rwanda if we're to get our point across and put # 1 on the public's radar screen. Anthrax is now a foil that's being manipulated to distract the US citizenry....................

Ian