bigotry is constitutional?

Tom Wheeler twbounds at pop.mail.rcn.net
Sat Nov 3 12:15:51 PST 2001

From: Dennis <dperrin13 at mediaone.net>
>Mr. Berlet may correct me, but my general take is that the KKK usually
burns
>crosses in a field at night during a private rally or ceremony. The days of
>burning crosses on people's lawns are more or less gone, so far as I know.

The court threw out the convictions of three people in two cases. One involved the burning of a cross at a Ku Klux Klan rally; the other involved an attempted burning in the back yard of a black person. While the court was busy throwing out the cross burning cases, a university student was charged with burning the U.S. flag, a misdemeanor in Virginia. Apparently, burning crosses on black people's lawns is "protected speech" while flag burning remains a crime. - Tom

************************************************* Alternative Press Review - www.altpr.org Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream PO Box 4710 - Arlington, VA 22204

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop - www.infoshop.org Infoshop News Kiosk - www.infoshop.org/inews