bigotry is constitutional?

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sat Nov 3 12:30:43 PST 2001

> The court threw out the convictions of three people in two cases. One
> involved the burning of a cross at a Ku Klux Klan rally; the other
involved
> an attempted burning in the back yard of a black person. While the court
was
> busy throwing out the cross burning cases, a university student was
charged
> with burning the U.S. flag, a misdemeanor in Virginia. Apparently, burning
> crosses on black people's lawns is "protected speech" while flag burning
> remains a crime. - Tom

As someone who supports the right to burn a cross or a flag, so long as it is not aimed at a private citizen in an attempt to threaten or intimidate them, I don't see why anyone would be hauled in for burning a cross in a private ceremony, and that conviction should have thrown out. As for the back yard attempt, that is, as I've said, quite different, and am curious why that conviction was overturned.

DP