Brad weighs in

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sun Nov 4 05:34:49 PST 2001

> I might have missed it but surely there is a great journalistic job to
> be done digging up all of the praise heaped upon the Afghan freedom
> fighters by the Reagan (and Thatcher) right in the early eighties. I'm
> presuming that this does not happen so much because people don't know
> how to research before news articles were posted on the web.

> Crustily
> James Heartfield

Not quite sure what you're getting at, James. I wrote my post from memory which, when it comes to TNR, is pretty clear, since during the '80s I read the thing nearly every week (I worked for a media group and walked the rightwing beat -- TNR, National Review, American Spectator, Policy Review -- read 'em all). There was plenty of praise heaped on the "freedom fighters" at the time (although I always thought they were the ugly cousins to the contras, Reagan's favorite offspring). It wouldn't be that hard to go to a library, dig through the stacks, and find pieces supporting their efforts. I did this in real time, and have no real need to go back, unless I was writing a term paper with footnotes.

DP