"Afghan freedom fighters" Re: Brad weighs in

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Nov 4 07:19:18 PST 2001

> > I might have missed it but surely there is a great journalistic job to
>> be done digging up all of the praise heaped upon the Afghan freedom
>> fighters by the Reagan (and Thatcher) right in the early eighties. I'm
>> presuming that this does not happen so much because people don't know
>> how to research before news articles were posted on the web.
>
>> Crustily
>> James Heartfield
>
>Not quite sure what you're getting at, James. I wrote my post from memory
>which, when it comes to TNR, is pretty clear, since during the '80s I read
>the thing nearly every week (I worked for a media group and walked the
>rightwing beat -- TNR, National Review, American Spectator, Policy Review --
>read 'em all). There was plenty of praise heaped on the "freedom fighters"
>at the time (although I always thought they were the ugly cousins to the
>contras, Reagan's favorite offspring). It wouldn't be that hard to go to a
>library, dig through the stacks, and find pieces supporting their efforts. I
>did this in real time, and have no real need to go back, unless I was
>writing a term paper with footnotes.
>
>DP

If James, Dennis, Seth, or anyone has an article from the 80s about Reagan, Thatcher, & the like praising the "Afghan freedom fighters," please post it here or send it to me offlist. Thanks in advance! -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>