"Afghan freedom fighters" Re: Brad weighs in

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sun Nov 4 13:31:25 PST 2001

According to WSWS (http://www.wsws.org/articles/2001/nov2001/haq-n02.shtml ):

"Haq had, since the collapse of the Najibullah government in 1992, fallen from favor within most US government circles. For some, he had become an object of derision and scorn, tagged “Hollywood Haq” for his penchant for self-promotion and showmanship and his lack of significant support among the Afghan people."

The CIA wasn't backing this operation; Mc Farlane is employed by a retired options trader called James Ritchie who is rooting for deposed king Zahir Shah. I suppose he thinks he can buy his private kingdom. Haq had pockets full of Ritchie's money to bribe chieftains with and little else: 20 men, few guns, no backing.