"Afghan freedom fighters" Re: Brad weighs in

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 13:15:33 PST 2001

In message <p0500190ab80b0c363fb3@[140.254.113.82]>, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes

>If James, Dennis, Seth, or anyone has an article from the 80s about
>Reagan, Thatcher, & the like praising the "Afghan freedom fighters,"
>please post it here or send it to me offlist. Thanks in advance!

From M Thatcher's autobiog. The Downing Street Years

[Nasir Bagh refugee camp, circa 30 September 1980]

'I told them of my admiration for their refusal to "live under a godless communist system which [was] trying to destroy [their] religion and [their] independence" and promised them help. My speech was interrupted from time to time as people rose to their feet to express approval, "Allah be praised".' (p168 pbk ed.)

-- James Heartfield