Max's wager

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 13:29:01 PST 2001

In message <XFMail.011104113049.cgrimes at rawbw.com>, Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> writes

>I don't know about Max, but I feel much safer now. Where is Max,
>anyway?

I'm impressed by Chuck's sang froid, but if I'm not mistaken, it is out of character with the rest of the country, which seems to be in a state of hysterical panic.

I don't subscribe to the view that the war makes Americans a greater target for terrorist attacks.

But I do believe that increased security measures, as a rule, tend to make people more, not less frightened, by elevating the fear of attack in their minds. And, whilst being some way away, it's difficult not to think that Americans have scared themselves a great deal since September 11.

-- James Heartfield