Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"? Re: Green Party official busted at gunpoint

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Nov 5 22:48:48 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kelley" <kwalker2 at gte.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>; <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 7:01 PM Subject: Re: Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"? Re: Green Party official busted at gunpoint

> of course i do. i have to do the same thing, remind myself. i've seen Art
> on other lists, for many years. he doesn't behave that way all the time.

If I was aware of that before, I probably wouldn't have made my original "nasty crack."

> i didn't say that you couldn't judge art's behavior, but you could make
> some attempt at recognizing that the anger that you read had a basis: that
> press release article and oden's interview were extremely offensive to
> people of color.

Oden's hubris and self-righteousness should offend anyone, although I understand your point about how it would be particularly so with people of color.

> they both failed to mention, despite their left patina,
> that people of color get this sort of treatment all the time.

I think they're well aware of it nonetheless.

> Oden failed
> to place her experience in the context of a wider history of civil rights
> and liberties violations. i'd be damn angry too and so should you. but no
> less than five people sent that post to the list and no one said a thing
> about this glaring lack of analysis. i can you possibly blame him for
being
> angry?

It's not the anger that was bothersome but the cartoonish expression of it.

> especially when you've gotten angry and hurt as to how your
> political views are treated here.

I'm not particularly angry about how my political views are treated here. I wish I was as adept at provoking meaningful debate as Nathan or Max, but I'm also willing to accept that my failure to do so is a personal matter. When I do get responses, I'm generally quite pleased with their quality and thoughfulness.

-- Luke