Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"? Re: Green Party official busted at gunpoint

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Nov 5 19:01:46 PST 2001

At 09:37 PM 11/5/01 -0800, Luke Weiger wrote:

>You don't have to tell me (or anyone else on this list, I would suspect)
>that real or perceived inequalities can lead to a great deal of anger and
>resentment. That doesn't mean the byproducts of that anger and resentment
>necessarily cry out for a thorough systematic analysis.
>
>-- Luke

of course i do. i have to do the same thing, remind myself. i've seen Art on other lists, for many years. he doesn't behave that way all the time. and yes, you do fancy yourself, just like jimbo, that you're superior because you don't engage in folksy language or use sewer language. well, too bad you're offended. they are only words and they are just as offensive as your nasty crack--entirely baseless. so get off your high horse.

i didn't say that you couldn't judge art's behavior, but you could make some attempt at recognizing that the anger that you read had a basis: that press release article and oden's interview were extremely offensive to people of color. they both failed to mention, despite their left patina, that people of color get this sort of treatment all the time. Oden failed to place her experience in the context of a wider history of civil rights and liberties violations. i'd be damn angry too and so should you. but no less than five people sent that post to the list and no one said a thing about this glaring lack of analysis. i can you possibly blame him for being angry? especially when you've gotten angry and hurt as to how your political views are treated here.

reflexivity alert.

kelley