Max's wager

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 00:19:21 PST 2001

Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> writes

In message <p05100313b80ccd220be4@[216.254.77.128]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes

>Come over for a visit, James; I'll happily put you up at no cost.
>Anthrax in the mail, tales of suitcase nuclear bombs that would cause
>"all of Manhattan below Gramercy Park to disappear" (I'm below Gramercy
>Park right now, so I take this kind of personally). See how long your
>sang remains froid.

Thanks very much for the offer, but I am concerned that you should be so worried. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking the piss ... panics are not something that you can abstract yourself from by act of will alone, but it is a panic nonetheless. Tales of nuclear suitcases are, well, just that, tales. And anthrax in the mail is a proper concern for posties, but lets face it, what are the chances for anyone else?

I'm not saying that I am not prone to panic about stuff (mostly my daughter's health, as it happens). I'm just saying that these things can be analysed objectively as well as experienced subjectively. -- James Heartfield