Leftists (white) and Black Liberation, was Re: Civil Rights

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 10:48:30 PST 2001

>From: "Hakki Alacakaptan" <nucleus at superonline.com>
>To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>Subject: RE: Leftists (white) and Black Liberation, was Re: Civil Rights
>Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:42:10 +0200
>
>I buy Art's story that blacks feel like the rest of the worlds'
>dispossessed
>about S11, which can't be said about any other group. As blacks seem to be
>the only radical force left at a time when the US is in danger of turning
>fascist - for real, this time - is anyone in the left doing anything to
>awaken the political consciousness that is buried under their nihilistic
>hatred?

Hmmm, blacks as the only radical force in the US. Wait, wait, I know I remember this from history class! Doesn't this, like, have to with the splitting up of the SDS or something?

And can some Civilizing Leftist awaken the political consciousness buried beneath their nihilistic hatred? <insert the sound of tom-toms> Tune in next week, boys and girls, to the Perils of Pauline the White Organizer.

I'm curious to know why the "Third World Within" (there's a phrase for a google search!) identifying with the Third World at large is a sign of nihilism rather than consciousness? And why aren't you reading Boondocks.

I've been surprised by the number of otherwise centrist black people I know who have seen S11 as chickens coming home to roost, but I wouldn't generalize about African-Americans across the country... I mean, Dr. Dre is recording an Osama bin Laden dis, and Petey Pablo changed Raise Up to a patriotic anthem! So, I wonder.