Oden followup

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 6 12:44:25 PST 2001

[via PEN-L]

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:00:39 -0800 (PST) From: Tim Bousquet <chicoexaminer at yahoo.com>

IndyMedia has removed the Nancy Oden story from their web site, but CounterPunch is still running it. I'm kind of perplexed by St. Clair's attitude on this. I mean, we all make mistakes, and it's especially difficult to stay on top of articles that are merely re-posted. I pointed out some problems with the article, and instead of addressing those, he attacks me and my efforts. I'm the first to admit, though, that I sometimes miss the standards that I strive for, and that retractions and corrections are in order. Seems like the right attitude to take.

If anyone still cares, the article struck me as implausible for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact that hundreds of very visible anti-war folks are flying all over the country and the world without being subjected to any more hassle than anyone else. I just got of the phone with David Cobb, the General Counsel for the Green Party of the United States, and he is rather upset about the whole deal.

"I appreciate your reaction [to the story] as a serious journalist," Cobb told me. "We try not to get involved in this sort of nonsense, and that's why we issued the clarifying press statement. We want to be serious and credible."

Cobb went on to say that "there's many people who are much more vocal, much more active [than Oden] who are flying all around the country with no problems. I'm one of them. I'm publishing op-ed pieces in the Houston Chronicle against the war, and I've flown to New York, to Washington DC, even after the Patriot Bill was passed, and have had no problems whatsoever."

The Green Party press release is at http://www.gpus.org/press/pr_11_04_01.html

Oh, and someone asked what the type of ticket purchase was-- the folks at Bangor Airport said they were "pretty sure" it was an internet purchase.

My guess is that they have the same problems with their security staff there as a lot of other airports have, and this incident got out of control because there was on the one hand a couple of underpaid surly guards and on the other hand a self-absorbed difficult person. Hardly worth the controversy it has caused.

E-mail reaction sent directly to me, though, has been about thirty in support of my posts, and exactly one (St. Clair's) against.

tim