Oden followup

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Tue Nov 6 13:25:07 PST 2001

> IndyMedia has removed the Nancy Oden story from their
> web site, but CounterPunch is still running it. I'm
> kind of perplexed by St. Clair's attitude on this. I
> mean, we all make mistakes, and it's especially
> difficult to stay on top of articles that are merely
> re-posted. I pointed out some problems with the
> article, and instead of addressing those, he attacks
> me and my efforts. I'm the first to admit, though,
> that I sometimes miss the standards that I strive for,
> and that retractions and corrections are in order.
> Seems like the right attitude to take.

> tim

St. Clair's snotty response reflects the Cockburn style -- short, dismissive, hostile, which is too bad since C-Punch has posted some good stuff of late, but they've also grabbed at wild stories, like the CNN "fake" footage and now this. (If you read Claud Cockburn's memoirs, you'll find that AC's pop had a taste for wild political gossip in the days when he edited "The Week.") AC and JSC clearly don't like having their judgment questioned, and will lash out at those who dare do so.

DP