Leftists (white) and Black Liberation, was Re: Civil Rights

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Nov 6 14:45:07 PST 2001

Hakki Alacakaptan:
> Certainly, but if they identify with those that this war is waged against,
> they could be a major opposing force. Is there any sign of this?
>
> Or am I barking up entirely the wrong tree? Is the racial divide like an
> ethnic divide after ethnic cleansing (with which I'm familiar) when there is
> no possibility whatsoever of establishing trust between the two parties?

When I was in Harlem two weeks ago, one of the things I noticed was that cars and buildings were much freer of the flags that have been posted, draped, and pasted everywhere else. It was a different season there. Most noticeably, a masjid I passed did not feel it necessary to drape itself in flags and patriotic slogans, unlike those in other climates only a few miles to the south. In fact, it had not a single flag on it anywhere. This is all very anecdotal, of course. And even if it means something, it certainly does not mean the people uptown are going to stick their heads into the fire all by themselves.

My guess is that before Black people as a group began to trust White people as a group, the White people would have to come a long, long way on a journey they have not yet made up their minds to set out on, although they do talk about it some.

-- Gordon