Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"?

Art McGee amcgee at well.com
Tue Nov 6 16:18:33 PST 2001

> Normally I agree with Art on a lot of things (e.g.,
> Asians being "honorary whites," which was codified in
> law in Apartheid South Africa & informally so in the
> USA), but it seems we are on very different wavelengths
> on the possibility of political profiling, Oden's
> reaction, etc.!

And let me make clear that I'm only talking about a subset of "Asians" that doesn't include Asians such as Pakistanis, Indians, Phillipinos, Indigenous Hawaiians, Samoans, etc.

I also recognize that there is a certain difference in treatment between recent immigrants, who can end up being treated like shit in slave-like sweatshops, and second and third generation people who were born here.

My point was that on the illusory "Dehumanization Scale" of White Supremacy, the model-minority myth that surrounds and envelopes Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc., people, who I would call "White Asians", places them a couple of levels above Black people in the U.S.

Art