Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"?

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 18:50:34 PST 2001

>From: ravi <gadfly at home.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"?
>Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 21:15:37 -0500
>
>Art McGee wrote:
>

>>And let me make clear that I'm only talking about a subset
>>of "Asians" that doesn't include Asians such as Pakistanis,
>>Indians, Phillipinos, Indigenous Hawaiians, Samoans, etc.
>>

> > <...>
> >

>>My point was that on the illusory "Dehumanization Scale" of
>>White Supremacy, the model-minority myth that surrounds and
>>envelopes Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc., people, who I
>>would call "White Asians", places them a couple of levels
>>above Black people in the U.S.
>>

>why leave out indians? among immigrants they are probably the
>wealthiest segment and have strong aspirations to be seen as
>white. while they are not yet a significant percent of the
>population, criminal activity is virtually non-existant, and
>they possess various other characteristics that make them a
>model minority (they even possess the advantage of being
>brown-skinned) and even arlen specter absolutely loves indian
>americans.

This coming from someone in NJ, land of the Dot-Busters and home of a few of my favorite Punjabi gas-station magnate gangland killings!! Admittedly, it's not British Columbia, but in a couple of years, it will have its equivalents of Reena Virk and Bindhi Johal.

Regardless of "their" (!) aspirations and Arlen Spector's love life, you and I both know what George Bush's friends had to say about McCain's adopted daughter. It was not that she was a member of a model-minority.