Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"?

ravi gadfly at home.com
Wed Nov 7 06:57:43 PST 2001

Mina Kumar wrote:

>> Art McGee wrote:
>>>
>>> And let me make clear that I'm only talking about a subset
>>> of "Asians" that doesn't include Asians such as Pakistanis,
>>> Indians, Phillipinos, Indigenous Hawaiians, Samoans, etc.
>>>
>>> My point was that on the illusory "Dehumanization Scale" of
>>> White Supremacy, the model-minority myth that surrounds and
>>> envelopes Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc., people, who I
>>> would call "White Asians", places them a couple of levels
>>> above Black people in the U.S.
>>>

>> why leave out indians? among immigrants they are probably the

>> wealthiest segment and have strong aspirations to be seen as

>> white. while they are not yet a significant percent of the

>> population, criminal activity is virtually non-existant, and

>> they possess various other characteristics that make them a

>> model minority (they even possess the advantage of being

>> brown-skinned) and even arlen specter absolutely loves indian

>> americans.

> This coming from someone in NJ, land of the Dot-Busters and home of a
> few of my favorite Punjabi gas-station magnate gangland killings!!

> <...>

> Regardless of "their" (!) aspirations and Arlen Spector's love life, you
> and I both know what George Bush's friends had to say about McCain's
> adopted daughter. It was not that she was a member of a model-minority.

actually no, i do not know what bush's friends had to say about mccain's adopted daughter, but more to the point: i am not contesting that indians have been targetted. but so have japanese, chinese and koreans. perhaps the statistics point to significant differences here?

the reason i mentioned arlen spector was not to suggest a love life, but to point that he does seem to patronize indians projecting them as a model minority.

--ravi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- man is said to be a rational animal. i do not know why he has not been defined as an affective or feeling animal. more often i have seen a cat reason than laugh or weep. perhaps it weeps or laughs inwardly - but then perhaps, also inwardly, the crab resolves equations of the 2nd degree. -- alasdair macintyre.