Leftists (white) and Black Liberation

Art McGee amcgee at well.com
Wed Nov 7 05:44:59 PST 2001

> this is also true of white women who are socially
> conservative about their own personal lives, but
> hesitant to impose their moralities on others.
> i can dig out the research, if you'd like.

Right, but my point is that Black women, percentage wise, are overall more consistent in this perspective and outlook. Overall, social conservatism in white people has a bad tendency to translate into reactionary social policy. Black people break with that pattern more than others.

Reactionary policies don't just ride in on the backs of white males alone. The reality is a bit more complex, as white women have been in many ways as complicit in the oppression of Blacks and other people of color as white men.

No matter how much of gender gap there is between liberals and conservatives when it comes to the voting patterns of white women, they still have a greater propensity to support reactionary legislation that affects people of color. Welfare Reform is a primary example of women, who happen to be white, thinking as white women, and not as women.

When push comes to shove, white women will support and protect their brothers, husbands, sons, etc., no matter how egregious the violation to the humanity of people of color.

> i'm curious, though, art. what about black men and
> abortion?

Obviously, since they're men, Patriarchy has fried at least a small portion of their brains, so there are going to be some, mostly those of the petit-bourgeoisie, who would support some legislation. However, in comparison to their white male counterparts, they're still vastly more liberal/progressive on the issue.

Art