Bush compares Taliban to Communist regimes

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 7 09:26:18 PST 2001

Of course it's shrewd, and I tip my hat to Bush for his deviousness. But shrewd political moves are often logically irrational, aren't they? The fact that the Taliban FOUGHT communism makes the comparison ridiculous on its face. But that doesn't mean that it won't be an effective piece of propaganda...

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:26:07 -0500 From: "Chip Berlet" <cberlet at igc.org> Subject: Re: Bush compares Taliban to Communist regimes

Hi,

I think you are missing the main point. Bush is trying to revive the centrist/extremist theory of social science that argued that extremists of the left and right threaten the democratic center. The original idea was that communism and fascism were two sides of the same totalitarian coin. This was not what Hannah Arendt wrote in her book Origins of Totalitarianism, but it was widely misrepresented, especially by Jeane J. Kirkpatrick.

This is not irrational at all. It is a shrewd political move.

- -Chip Berlet