Leftists (white) and Black Liberation

Art McGee amcgee at well.com
Wed Nov 7 14:24:29 PST 2001

> Hmm...See blurbs by Stuart Hall on the back cover of
> Black Atlantic.

OK, that's one Black man, a Brit, who I respect.

> Below see more from Black academics and journals
> edited by Blacks like Race & Class. So the Editors of
> Transition where I saw the excerpt from Gilroy on Garvey
> and Mussolini are Inauthentic Blacks?

First, Transition is a centrist/neo-liberal publication run by Negroes such as Henry Louis Gates and Kwame Appiah. These people have no connection to radical political struggle or social change, and in fact, their lives are examples of how we've gone backward since the days of Du Bois. They have absolutely no moral authority whatsover in regards to commenting on Black liberation. This would apply whether they were Black, White, or otherwise. They are mealy-mouthed, liberal losers.

Second, listing an editorial board doesn't tell you anything. A lot of that is vitae padding, but beyond that, having your name on that list does not imply an endorsement of the views of any particular author appearing in the publication.

Third, while there were maybe a few true radicals on the ed. list at Transition, the inclusion of Spike Lee and Ice Cube is evidence of the bankruptcy of the publication. Please, don't ask for details. Either you know, or you don't know.

Fourth, you can save the references for your Klan buddies. I know who is who on that list, and as I said before, trying to trot them out in that manner is a form of minstrelsy that shows how infected by White Supremacy your mind is. Don't think you can try to overwhelm with data to win a point. It doesn't work that way. You have to actually have some connection to real social change movements and work to to know what I'm talking about.

Fifth, stop trying to obsfuscate and twist the arguments. At no point were we ever discussing the issues of authenticity. That is an essentialist concept which is of little concern to me. You're not stupid, you know what we're talking about. The issue is not Gilroy's "authenticity" as a Black person, but rather his conceptualization of and connection to RADICAL and REVOLUTIONARY political struggle. People such as Gilroy and Adolph Reed merely pontificate from the sidelines or the bell tower, but are alienated from and hostile to regular working-class people, especially Black people. They serve as the nightsticks of the White Supremacist Left, trying to beat poor and working-class Blacks into submission, and creating straw arguments and red-herrings to demoralize their peers who are trying to make real change.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go eat some barbecued ribs and fried chicken. %-)

Art