Why the Taliban hates women..

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Nov 7 15:56:17 PST 2001

I did not dispute that western nations practice their own brand of misogyny, but I would still argue that there is a difference between a small child being sexually mutilated and an adult woman "willingly" having breast-enhancement surgery. To be sure, the adult woman is brainwashed; but the kid has no chance at all; it simply doesn't matter how the kid feels about the pain and the life-long suffering.

The fact that bombs are falling does not mean that we can't talk about the oppression of women. And the fact that western pundits always drag in the "oppression of women" only when it serves their purpose does not mean that it is not a real issue.

Joanna B.