Why the Taliban hates women..

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Nov 7 18:05:01 PST 2001

At 03:56 PM 11/7/01 -0800, joanna bujes wrote:
>I did not dispute that western nations practice their own brand of
>misogyny, but I would still argue that there is a difference between a
>small child being sexually mutilated and an adult woman "willingly" having
>breast-enhancement surgery. To be sure, the adult woman is brainwashed;
>but the kid has no chance at all; it simply doesn't matter how the kid
>feels about the pain and the life-long suffering.

yes, but you were suggesting that somehow patriarchal relations between men and women of color are somehow more brutal in their interpersonal relations than they are among white men and women.(venting on "their" women and children)(< ?? would you say that white men vent on "their" women and children?)(o0o0o0ps, i'm gonna piss Hakki off cause i got PC there! i'm beating back my inner language fascist now Hakki! :) ) the notion that feminism is about decrying the misogyny of plastic surgery is a clever canard, but it's an attempt to smear feminism and ignore the wide variety of feminisms that actually wouldn't even make the argument that plastic surgery is primarily a manifestation of patriarchy. or somesuch nonsense. indeed, going on about it would be a very "second wave" white, middle class feminist issue and, fuckmedead, but i really wish we'd get over it... well, at least, i wish those who hold a special place in their heart for throwing out canards about feminism theories and political practices would at least stop homogenizing feminist thought. it's still controlled by white, middle class feminists, but there's plenty out there that's not so easily turned into a caricature to be ridiculed.

it's really hard to make such broad generalization about "men of color". global ones? that ignore the specificity of time and place? and ignore the difficulty of making cross cultural comparisons. the taliban, for instance, are brutal in general. to see their treatment of women as somehow uniquely brutal makes the mistake of missing that wider interpretive context.

if you look at men and compare them in our own culture, though, you certainly can't make the generalization that men of color are any mor brutal or patriarchal in their personal relations with "their" women than white men are with "their" women. it's pretty even steven wrt the research on abuse. in terms of research on attitudes toward and practices considered "egalitarian" black men tend to do far better than whites: sharing housework and parenting roles, accepting that their partners have higher status jobs and/or make more money, willingness to move to advance her education/career, etc.

kelley