Why the Taliban hate women...

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Wed Nov 7 20:55:52 PST 2001

> Weird, Gordon. It's as if you're saying gender has no >bearing on access
to the means of production, or >one's place in the division of labor.

> Doug

Something I was made all too aware of working as a bus boy/dishwasher/plongeur extraordinaire at a Howard Johnson's out on the interstate. Biologically speaking busboys had penises and waitresses had vaginas. Gender-ally speaking, busboys wore stinky greasy polyester shirts the color of orange, and waitresses wore greasy polyester uniforms.

Waitresses got tips (which got under-reported to the IRS if reported at all). We busboys got sub-minium (yes, under Reagan there was a sub-minium wage by law) wages. We busboys also got accused of stealing tips. After one such, accusation I started to bus tips and throw them in the trash like food scraps. How is that for revolutionary transgression against the economic order? I estimate I threw away at least 5000 dollars over 2 years. It's in a landfill near my parents' home awaiting future extraction and yielding more return than the stuff parked on the Dow.

Charles Jannuzi