MSNBC Turkey carries Fisk & Znet!

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Thu Nov 8 13:46:04 PST 2001

I hadn't visited MSNBC's Turkish site (www.ntvmsnbc.com/news) for a while as they were serving up the same war propaganda as MSNBC and CNN the last time I looked. But I guess they responded to public opinion here because today's news banners contain translations of "Hypocrisy, hatred and the war on terror" by Robert Fisk, " "Distorting Blowback, Understanding the Media" by Jeffery Sommers, and "The Coming Apocalypse" by Geov Parrish, as well as a Znet banner. Kinda cool, I thought.

A Turkish search site reported yesterday that the most popular search terms were no longer porn-related but were focusing on conspiracy and Afghanistan.

We live in interesting times indeed.

More local news: The Foreign Minister Cem said Turkey would not recognize the EU's imminent decision to accept the Republic of Cyprus (which Turkey calls the Greek Republic of Southern Cyprus) as a full member and is prepared to face the consequences, viz being refused entry to the EU and possible sanctions for occupying North Cyprus. This shocking announcement after years of fudging came on the tail of the dispatch of Turkish special forces to Afghanistan. This NATO Article V contribution, which all NATO members are automatically committed to make, apparently did not deserve a courtesy waiting period before Turkey presented the bill.

To be fair, Turkey has a gripe with NATO as it had asked for NATO intelligence and judicial assistance under Article V against the PKK and not gotten it. So now, we have an interesting situation where Turkey is daring the EU to close the door and face the consequence of further alienating Moslems as well ass ticking off Uncle Sam, who wants Turkey to be accepted (not least because of the huge problems it will cause the EU). This is yet another nail in the coffin of the Bush-Blair war coalition.

Hakki