MIME 1.0

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Nov 8 21:12:51 PST 2001

``...interesting problem...[webpage maintainence via NFS]...it should be not too difficult to hack up a program that uses a local cache of your files (and disk space is cheap these days) offered to the OS as a mounted file system (which most modern unices provide means to do) and use FTP in the back end to keep the files in sync with the ISP server...'' ravi

(More techno-babble)

The last site (http://ftpfs.sourceforge.net/) looks more like my speed. But I already decided that if I was going to deal with this, I would construct a website with related files and directories on the home system, tarball the whole tree, upload via ftp and untar it into the appropriate ISP shell directory. Then piddle around within the basic skeleton after that.

This summer my kid, who got me started on all this unix stuff, sent me a (pkzipped Win2000) website on reconstructive foot surgeries as an e-mail attachment! The fucking 10meg compressed monster creamed my /var/tmp directory until I symlinked it to /usr/tmp which is essentially a 9gig bottomless pit---then had him re-send it. Amazingly enough, once I got his zipped attachment into my /usr/home/cgrimes/temp directory and unpacked it and loaded it in Netscape, it acted just like the website it was copied from. So that gave me the idea. But all this webpage stuff is too much like actual work.

Anyway, I looked through your webpage. How come you like Matisse and Vermeer--seriously? There was one of those corp-gov blockbuster museum shows of Vermeer that traveled to SF in 1994-6(?). Naturally I didn't get off my ass to go see it. But there was catalogue published by the National Gallery and distributed by Yale Uni Press---so its out there somewhere. I sold the Smithsonian review of it out of the dentist's office for the illustrations. It has the Girl with the Earring on the cover.

Chuck Grimes