Fw: Terrorist Coalition splitting

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Nov 9 00:45:48 PST 2001

> And a response from \'Pravda\'.......
>
> Pravda - 19:31 2001-11-08
>
> \"ANTI-TERRORIST COALITION IS SPLITTING \"

Just so nobody gets the wrong idea. I'd like to point out that this is not the same Pravda as the Soviet version of the same. Pravda was privatised quite a while ago and is not the official mouthpiece of the CPRF (which is "Sovetskaya Rossiya"). It's pro-Communist, though. Russia is riddled with privatised Soviet papers, like "Komsomolskaya Pravda" (Communist Youth League Truth), which is a quasi-serious paper that tends to have pop stars on its cover -- right by the Soviet medals! -- and "Moskovsky Komsomolets" (Moscow Young Communist Youth League Member), which borders on being a tabloid. They're all mouthpieces for various oligarchs, political factions and/or mafia groups. By the way, all the hyperbolic bullshit in the West over the closure of NTV and Itogi notwithstanding, IMHO the mainstream Russian media is far, far more pluralistic than its American counterpart, because it is so highly factionalized and its various patrons use it to try to take each other down and expose the other guy's bad side. You can read stuff about how Putin is an anti-Christ destroying Russia all the time in the very widely-read Communist and/or ultra-nationalist press, hell, even in some of the oligarch-owned press. I can just imagine reading something like that about Bush in a mass-circulation American paper. Yeah, right.

I would guess that if you added up all the regional papers called "Pravda" in Russia, they would add up to a thousand or so.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal