Marable weighs in

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 14:47:33 PST 2001

So, if someone says something that implies something outrageously false, like Marable's comment implies that the body count of the NYPD is in the neighborhood of the Salvadoran Death squads, then one can't correct it without it being a "spin," a defense of the NYP? Surely you see that this lets the irresponsible make whatever statements they want without refutation.

In Sovietology, a former indulgence of mind. there were people who would make wild estimates of the Stalin death tolls: 20 million! 50 million! 100 million! Twice the population of the USSR-Stalin was so evil that he killed everyone TWICE! Paul Getty has devoted a grim and responsible career to getting the figures right. The documentable Stalin death toll is about 8-10 million, of which 7-8 million are due to the collectivzation famine. Unsurprsingly, Getty has been trashed as a Stalinist apologist.

The analogy should be clear: facts is facts. They don't carea bout your ideology. It's moronic to suggest that the NYPD is as graet a bunchof murderers as the Salvadoran death squads. If they were, Art would long since have been tortured to death and thrown by some street in Harlem or Jamaica, Queens as warning. That doesn't mean the NYPD aren't a menace, especially if you area black male. But they are a menace of a different order--whether it's an order of 12,000:1 or somewhat less, 3200:1, if the 80,000 figure forEl Salvador is right--doesn't matter much. That's not apologetics. It's sanity.

jks