S11 Imperialism

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sat Nov 10 09:04:08 PST 2001

Chris,

Very informative and no doubt all true.

I'd just like to make a point about the economism that's taken hold of this discussion. Everybody seems to be suggesting that ethnicity, national identity, etc. is secondary, and only the bottom line counts. But to give an example closer to home, Kurds in Turkey are also perfectly aware that they are better off trading in their language and territoral claims for a place in Turkey's relatively developed economy, as opposed to an endless war for cultural identity and a barren wilderness. But that will never stop them from harboring a grudge against Turks. Whatever their material benefits, they will always consider themselves as victims of oppression. It's also a matter of public record that the Turkish state has poured far more development money into the Kurdish regions than it has collected. In fact, a lot of the investments were sabotaged by the PKK. Turkey would immediately have a higher GNP if it just let them secede and walled off the border. But this is unthinkable because it would incur enormous political costs. So there's more to imperialism, and to life, than cash flow.

Hakki